Quiz Time: Mouthwash
Gone are the days when mouthwash came in just a couple of minty flavors, and occupied one or two spots on the drug store shelf. You can now choose from a wide vareity of mouthwashes (and mouth rinse products) with flavors from ultramint to fruit. They might have fluoride, whitening agents and antiseptics added. Over-the-counter mouthwashes, when used properly, can be a healthy addition to your family’s preventive oral care program. Make sure any mouthwash you use has the American Dental Association seal, for maximum safety and good results.
- True or False: Mouthwashes are safe for anyone to use.
- True or False: Mouthwashes can replace brushing and flossing when you are busy.
- True or False: Vigorous swishing can help dislodge food particles a toothbrush can miss.
- False: It is not recommended that children younger than 6 use a mouthwash at all. Check with your dentist before offering mouthwash to children or young teens. It is important that anyone using mouthwash understand it should be spit out and not swallowed. Most adults can comfortably and safely use a mouthwash.
- False: There is no replacement for brushing and flossing, and regular checkups and cleanings, even for busy people. The physical action of brushing tooth surfaces, and flossing tooth edges and at the gum line is a necessary part of good oral care.
- True : While mouthwashes can have ingredients that strengthen tooth enamel, freshen the breath, and more, one of their strengths is that vigorous swishing can swirl around tooth surfaces, reaching places a toothbrush might miss. The American Dental Association says that mouthwash can be used effectively before or after brushing and flossing, according to personal preference.
Make Sure You Are Mouthwash Smart!
We are glad to share our dental knowledge with you. If you have questions about mouthwash, or any other dental topics, call our Cleveland Family Dentistry office in Cleveland, TX, today at (281) 592-1234. We proudly serve patients and their families from Cleveland, Kingwood, New Caney, Conroe, Livingston, Huffman, and all surrounding communities.